Saturday 16 April 2011

Fantasy Cricket

It’s that time of the year again where I get thoroughly over excited and start dreaming that I am going to win the fantasy cricket league. I think in the years since 1994 that I have been doing fantasy cricket leagues my highest league position was 18,500 which I was very impressed with at the time.

This year I’m pushing for a top 10,000 finish, if that happens then happy days. Picking my team this year I found to be very challenging, they have decided to have three different leagues, a county championship league, a Twenty20 league and an international league.

My County championship team has been selected and in a moment of weakness I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to do a team, to my shock she said she did. The next 10 minutes of her picking her team was what I can only describe as traumatic, there are many methods that can be used to pick a fantasy cricket team, her first method was to try and pick players that she had heard of but it means she would have only selected 7 players, then went for the ‘are they fit’ tactic again had to be abandoned as they were all England players and wouldn’t play that much. She was adamant that Cook and Broad had to be picked, she was having none of me trying to tell her that was pointless.

The final approach which was the one she decided upon was just a random selection process which she claims was based on last year’s performances. One of her selections Alviro Petersen from Glamorgan has made me think that was a super pick and made me think that I may add him to my team, maybe the aura of disdain that she shows towards cricket is all a front and in fact she’s a fanatic. I’m still confident my team will come out on top, I most certainly hope so or it really is a new low.

My Fantasy County Championship XI

Trescothick                    Somerset                       Capt
Shah                              Essex
Taylor                            Leicestershire
Maynard                        Surrey
Loye                              Northamptonshire
Davies                           Surrey
Stokes                           Durham
Panesar                         Sussex
Collymore                     Middlesex
Mendis                          Somerset
Tsotsobe                       Essex

Girlfriend XI

Petersen                       Glamorgan                    Capt
Cook                            Essex
Wagh                           Nottinghampshire
Smith                            Leicestershire
Nixon                            Leicestershire
Rashid                           Yorkshire
Broad                            Nottinghamshire
Woakes                         Warwickshire
Pattinson                        Nottinghamshire
Lucas                             Northamptonshire
Philips                            Essex

No comments:

Post a Comment